Bonhams followed up 2012’s return to Scottsdale, Ariz., by more than doubling its sales totals, Jan. 17, 2013. The number, diversity and quality of consignments were all much improved from a year ago, and attendance was up as well. When all was said and done, Bonhams sold 91 of 112 automotive lots at the Westin Kierland Resort, an 81% sales rate, to the tune of £8.6M. This compares to 44 of 67 vehicles sold a year earlier for £3.8M.
Top sale of the auction was the star catalog cover car, which failed to sell on the block but was finalised shortly after the event concluded. The 1938 Mercedes-Benz 540K Cab A ultimately sold for £840,000 including buyer’s premium. A 1972 Lamborghini Miura P400 SV also crossed the £750,000 threshold to sell for a market-correct £777,600. Another notable sale was of Leopoldo Pirelli’s bespoke 1967 Ferrari 365 GTC Speciale, which blew past its £320,000 high estimate thanks to strong international interest to finally sell at $566,400.
Perhaps the most surprising moment of the sale, however, was from a much more modest car. An expertly restored 1969 Fiat 124 Spider rode a wave of nostalgia from six different bidders to an astronomical $30,912 final result. The little Fiat was one of the last lots to present and the crowd had thinned out by that point, but its performance still drew an enthusiastic round of applause once the final gavel fell on the record-setting price.
- 1938 Mercedes-Benz 540K Cabriolet A sold for £840,000
- 1972 Lamborghini Miura P400 SV Coupe sold for £777,600
- 1930 Bugatti Type 46 Faux Cabriolet sold for £608,640
- 1968 Ferrari 330 GTS Spider sold for £584,000
- 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing Coupe sold for £573,440
- 1967 Ferrari 365 GTC Speciale Coupe sold for £566,400
- 1971 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Cut Spyder sold for £270,720
- 1972 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Berlinetta sold for £246,080
- 1969 Aston Martin DB6 Coupe sold for £182,720
- 1931 Cord L-29 Cabriolet sold for £179,200
Bonhams will next take the stage Feb. 7, 2013 in Paris. Once again held at the Grand Palais during the week of Retromobile, an ex-Works Bugatti Type 54 Grand Prix car and Ettore Bugatti’s former 1938 Type 57 C coupe headline the auction.