Bonhams’ annual Paris sale has become one of the company’s standout European events, and provides a bright spot for wintertime market watchers. Held alongside Retromobile festivities, the auction has showcased some significant motor cars in recent years, and the 7 February 2013 sale was no exception. In all, £10.2M in vehicles traded hands, including a large selection of motorcycles. More than 70% of the consigned lots changed owners, which was far improved compared to the company’s three previous French sales. The sale total was also significantly higher.
The auction’s top seller was a matching-numbers 1929 Bentley 6½-Litre Speed Six Tourer, which sold for £712,248, including buyer’s premium. A 1963 Aston Martin DB4 SV Vantage convertible, left-hand-drive and finished in platinum over red, also approached the £700,000 mark with a final price of £692,463. Ettore Bugatti’s own (highly original) 1938 Type 57C Special coupe rounded out the top three at £593,540.
Several other sales were also noteworthy. A 1973 Ferrari Dino 246 GT sold for £212,685, which could have purchased two excellent GTS models only two years ago. An incredibly strong £66,279 was paid for a 1975 Porsche 911 SC Carrera coupe, which could have purchased a nice short-wheelbase 911 S a year ago. Lastly, the buzz-worthy 1929 American Moth biplane that was featured in the film Out of Africa sold for £173,116.
- 1929 Bentley 6½-Litre Speed Six Tourer sold for £712,248
- 1963 Aston Martin DB4 SV Vantage Convertible sold for £692,463
- 1938 Bugatti Type 57C Special Coupe sold for £593,540
- 1938 Mercedes-Benz 540K Cabriolet sold for £578,702
- 1938 Lancia Astura SIV Cabriolet sold for £573,755
- 1953 Bentley R-Type Continental Fastback sold for £451,678
- 1966 Porsche Type 906 Carrera Coupe sold for £464,940
- 1931 Bentley Sports Tourer sold for £415,478
- 1939 Horch 853A Cabriolet sold for £326,447
- 1950 Talbot-Lago Record T26 Grand Sport Cabriolet sold for £247,308
1928 Rolls-Royce Phantom I Playboy Roadster sold for £247,308
1929 Minerva Type AK Faux Cabriolet sold for £247,308
Bonhams’ next automotive event will be in Boca Raton, Fla., on 23 February, 2013. The company’s next European sale is scheduled for 2 March 2013, in Oxford.